Monday, March 23, 2009

Critique of the ReRemixx

I was most impressed with George Shry's remix, or ReRemixx. I am terrible at any computer editing program, and I think his project really showcased how skilled he is with Photoshop. The point of this assignment wasn't to show everyone how talented you are, but I think being skilled with certain computer programs definitely makes your project more appealing. I thought George also did a great job at incorporating other lessons from class into his project. For instance, he contacted an artist for permission to use one of the drawings. I sat on Creative Commons for an eternity searching for works I could alter without having permission to do so. Maybe had I just contacted users on Flickr, I could have used the images I originally wanted to use. Good thinking, George.

I also liked how George's project seemed very seamless, or if it hadn't even been remixed. I guess this is also another example of how skilled he is at Photoshop. Most of the projects screamed "I've been remixed!," but George's seemed like it was in it's original format. He actually mentioned that he added the text because the image seemed like he didn't really alter it in any way. I think that is a sign of great work. If it is impossible to tell that things were added and altered, then it probably took a long time to create this image. It seems like George spent a great deal of time creating this image.

The main thing I liked about George's project is that he used different mediums to create the image we now see. The main dragon was a pencil sketch, the crystal ball is a digital work, and the fingers holding the crystal ball are George's, taken with a digital camera. Combining three different types of images to make one image must have been challenging. It is a very creative idea, that worked out very well. 

The quotes that George used are very applicable to this project. This project was very driven by imagination. Without that, none of us could have come up with our sources to remix. And, it seems as though George certainly did use a lot of imagination in producing this project.

Overall, I feel that George achieved his goal of making his remix project "seamless". And, although he expressed concerns that his hours of labor that went into the project may be lost because of the seamless effect,  I think most of us were aware that this was a tedious and time consuming remix project. 

I wouldn't change anything about this remix project, because if I did it would be entirely noticeable and only serve to mess up all of the work that George put into creating this. I would like to steal all of George's techniques and learn how to use Photoshop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment